UPSC: Union Public Service Commission(UPSC) is conducting Combined Defence Service(CDS) exam for eligible candidates. Women are also allowed to appear for the exam.
A total of 344 Vacancies are going to be recruited through this exam process. Eligible and interested candidates can check through and apply for the exam.
- 1 UPSC CDS Important details
- 2 UPSC CDS vacancy
- 3 UPSC CDS Eligibility criteria
- 4 UPSC CDS scheme of Examination
- 5 UPSC CDS Pay scale
- 6 UPSC CDS application fee, Apply, links
- 7 For other helpful content follow: –
UPSC CDS Important details
|Name of course||CDS|
|Exam Pattern||Written Test and Interview(SSB)|
|Application fee||Rs. 200/-|
|Last date to apply||25/08/2020|
|Official notification||UPSC CDS notification|
UPSC CDS vacancy
A total of 344 vacancies are up for grabs for candidates and they can choose to apply for their choice based on their preferences.
If a male candidate is competing for Short Service Commission (Army) only, he should indicate OTA as the one and only choice. However, a male candidate competing for Short Service Commission Course at OTA as well as Permanent Commission course at IMA, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy should indicate OTA as his last preference; otherwise OTA will be deemed to be the last choice even if it is given a higher preference by the candidate.
Women candidates are being considered only for Short Service Commission at OTA. They should indicate OTA as the only choice.
Candidates who desire to join Air Force Academy must indicate AFA as first choice, as they have to be administered Computer Pilot Selection System (CPSS) and/or and AF Medicals at Central Establishment/Institute of Aviation Medicines. Choice exercised for AFA as second/third etc. will be treated as invalid.
UPSC CDS Eligibility criteria
Candidates aspiring to be selected through the CDS examination must fulfill the eligibility criteria before they can apply. Candidates not complying to fulfill the eligibility criteria will be dismissed from the recruitment process.
UPDC CDS Nationality
- Nationality: A candidate must be unmarried and must either be:
- a Citizen of India, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (ii) and (iii) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
- Certificate of eligibility will, however, not be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal.
- A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary may be admitted to the examination provisionally subject to the necessary certificate being given to him/her by the Govt. before declaration of result by UPSC.
UPSC CDS Age limit
(i) For IMA—Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd July, 1997 and not later than 1st July, 2002 only are eligible.
(ii) For Indian Naval Academy—Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd July, 1997 and not later than 1st July, 2002 only are eligible.
(iii) For Air Force Academy— 20 to 24 years as on 1st July, 2021 i.e. born not earlier than 2nd July, 1997 and not later than 1st July, 2001 (Upper age limit for candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India) is relaxable upto 26 yrs. i.e. born not earlier than 2nd July, 1995 and not later than 1st July, 2001) only are eligible.
Note: Candidate below 25 years of age must be unmarried. Marriage is not permitted during training. Married candidates above 25 years of age are eligible to apply but during training period they will neither be provided married accommodation nor can they live with family out of the premises.
(iv) For Officers’ Training Academy—(SSC Course for men) unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd July, 1996 and not later than 1st July, 2002 only are eligible.
(v) For Officers’ Training Academy—(SSC Women Non-Technical Course) Unmarried women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2nd July, 1996 and not later than 1st July, 2002.
UPSC CDS Eligibility criteria
(i) For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai — Degree of a recognised University or equivalent.
(ii) For Indian Naval Academy—Degree in Engineering from a recognised University/Institution.
(iii) For Air Force Academy—Degree of a recognised University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering. Graduates with first choice as Army/Navy/Air Force are to submit proof of Graduation/provisional certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the SSB.
Candidates who are studying in the final year/semester Degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply provided candidate should not have any present backlog upto the last semester / year for which results have been declared upto the time of submission of application and they will be required to submit proof of passing the degree examination at the time of commencement of course to reach the IHQ of MoD (Army), Rtg ‘A’, CDSE Entry, West Block III, R. K. Puram, New Delhi-110066 in case of IMA/SSC first choice candidates and Naval HQ “DMPR” (OI & R Section), Room No. 204, ‘C’ Wing, Sena Bhawan, New Delhi-110011 in case of Navy first choice candidates and PO3(A)/Air Headquarters, ‘J’ Block, Room No. 17, Opp. Vayu Bhawan, Motilal Nehru Marg, New Delhi-110 106
in case of Air Force first choice candidates by the following dates failing which their candidature will stand canceled:
(i) For admission to IMA on or before 1st July, 2021, Indian Naval Academy on or before 1st July, 2021 and Air Force Academy on or before 13th May, 2021.
(ii) For admission to Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai on or before 1st October, 2021. Candidates possessing professional and technical qualifications which are recognised by government as equivalent to professional and technical degrees would also be eligible for admission to the examination.
UPSC CDS scheme of Examination
Exam will be conducted for all candidates. The candidates securing more than the required cut off will be selected for the Interview process.
The maximum marks allotted to the written examination and to the interviews will be equal for each course i.e. the maximum marks allotted to the written examination and to the interviews will be 300, 300, 300 and 200 each for admission to the Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers’ Training Academy respectively.
The papers in all the subjects will consist of objective type questions only. The question papers (Test Booklets) of General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics will be set bilingually in Hindi as well as English.
In the question papers, wherever necessary, questions involving the metric system of Weights and Measures only will be set.
Candidates must write the papers in their own hand. In no circumstances will they be allowed the help of a scribe to write answers for them.
The Commission have discretion to fix qualifying marks in any or all the subjects of the examination.
The candidates are not permitted to use calculator for answering objective type papers (Test Booklets). They should not therefore, bring the same inside the Examination Hall.
There are four alternatives for the answer to every question. For each question for which a wrong answer has been given by the candidate. One third (0.33) of the marks assigned to that question will be deducted as penalty.
UPSC CDS Syllabus
UPSC CDS Pay scale
Pay for the various posts is given in detail below.
Allowances of various different types given to candidates. Check out the details below.
For Candidates (excepting Female/SC/ST candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/– (Rupees Two Hundred Only) either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India or by using Visa/Master/Rupay Credit/Debit Card.
How to apply?
Candidates are required to apply online by using the website www.upsconline.nic.in
Salient Features of the system to Online Applications Form are given hereunder:
- 1. Detailed instructions for filling up Online Applications are available on the above mentioned website.
- 2. Candidates will be required to complete the Online Application form containing two stages viz. Part I and Part II as per the instructions available in the above mentioned site through drop down menu.
- 3. The candidates are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees two hundred only) [except SC/ST candidates and those specified in Note-2 of Point 4 (Fee) of the Notice who are exempted from payment of fee] either by depositing the money in any branch of SBI by cash or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India or by using any Visa/Master/ Rupay Credit/Debit Card.
- 4. Before start filling up Online Application, a candidate must have his photograph and signature duly scanned in the .jpg format in such a manner that each file should not exceed 300 KB each and must not be less than 20 KB in size for the photograph and signature.
- 5. A candidate must have his Matriculation Certificate ready prior to filling up his application form. The details viz. Candidate’s Name, Father’s Name, Mother’s Name & Date of Birth to be filled in Online Application Form of the candidate should match exactly with particulars mentioned in the Matriculation Certificate.
- 6. In addition to this, candidate should also have details of one photo ID viz. Aadhar Card/ Voter Card/ PAN Card/ Passport/ Driving License/ Any other photo ID Card issued by the State/Central Government. The details of this photo ID will have to be provided by the candidate while filling up the online application form. The candidates will have to upload a scanned copy of the Photo ID whose details have been provided in the online application by him/her. This photo ID will be used for all future referencing and the candidate is advised to carry this ID while appearing for examination/Personality Test/SSB.
- 7. The Online Applications (Part I and II) can be filled from 05th August, 2020 to 25th August, 2020 till 6:00 PM.
- 8. Applicants should avoid submitting multiple applications. However, if due to any unavoidable circumstances any applicant submits multiple applications then he must ensure that the applications with higher RID is complete in all respects.
- 9. In case of multiple applications, the applications with higher RID shall be entertained by the Commission and fee paid against one RID shall not be adjusted against any other RID.
- 10. The applicants must ensure that while filling their Application Form, they are providing their valid and active E-mail Ids as the Commission may use electronic mode of communication while contacting them at different stages of examination process.
- 11. The applicants are advised to check their e-mails at regular intervals and ensure that the email address ending with @nic.in are directed to their inbox folder and not to the SPAM folder or any other folder.
- 12. Candidates are strongly advised to apply online well in time without waiting for the last date for submission of online application. Moreover, the Commission has introduced provision of withdrawal of application for the candidate, who does not want to appear at the Examination, he/she may withdraw his/her application.
|Last date to apply||25/08/2020|
|Official notification||UPSC CDS Notification|
|Application link||UPSC CDS Apply|